Two roads diverged in a wood, and I –
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken
Today I awoke at 4am, to travel up to Scotland to celebrate the life of a wonderful, wise lady called Mary. Mary gave me so much in my life, she always had a sparkle in her eyes and I wanted to write a couple of things to share that.
I grew up on a farm, a fabulous way to grow up… free to run around the fields & just be a child. You don’t realise how fortunate that lifestyle is, until you grow up.
As I grew up, Mary, her husband Willie, and their family were a huge influence in my life.
They inspired my passion for horses, taught me how to look after them properly, how to understand them as individuals and how to ‘turn them out’ for a competition with precision. I ended up competing for the U21 Scottish Eventing Team and teaching horse riding for years, without out a doubt Mary, Willie & Kevin influence were the foundations of this success and I thank them 🙂
They also taught me how to lamb sheep, castrate lambs, manage the land, drive the tractors and look after the stock, amongst many things! Many a happy year was spent on the farm…
What they don’t realise is that Mary & her family influenced a lot more in my life. Below are my mini thoughts for you to contemplate too…
* Spend time with people who matter, understand & nuture relationships
* Focus, be quietly consistent with what you do and results will follow
* Be honest, do right always, don’t worry what others are up to
* Take time to get outside in the fresh air, go for a walk with your dog & clear your mind
* Get up early each day, work hard, finish early, enjoy the evening, this will get your where you want
* Equally, Slow down, enjoy the moments
* Keep things simple, don’t think too much, just do. Things have a way of working out
* Keep a twinkle in your eye and laugh every day
I feel so fortunate to have shared many years of my life with Mary, and as I travel to celebrate her life with her family, I ask you to take a moment to reflect on what you have learned from people in your life.
Although I have tears in my eyes, I have a smile in my heart, as Mary would say, ‘Smile Lassie, everything will be alright.’ I wish the very same, & more to her family x
“Death helps us to see what is worth trusting and loving and what is a waste of time.” J. Neville Ward,
“The question is not whether we will die, but how we will live.” Dr Joan Borysenko
My photos of riding with Mary… near the beginning to near the end, the happiest times. Thank you Mary for being a great influence in my life, more than you realise x