When are you fully present… like 100% focused on what you are doing, feeling and thinking right now?
So often we are distracted, by a multitude of thoughts, chasing ahead to what if, falling behind to why, wondering about others, fears, hopes… and not present.
To do anything, to feel ‘better’, think more helpfully, race smarter, write a chapter of a book, be fitter, absorb what we’ve eaten or read, to have all the feels, to change our habits and have those deep conversations, we have to be present, no distractions…
I thought about this a while back. For example when I was training I started swimming, but my thoughts were scrambling around worry about meeting a person, fleeting back to how I used to swim ‘better’, darting forwards to a corporate pitch and athlete session later… not so effective. So I stopped and caught myself… paused.
Refocused and specifically took my mind into three things… focusing on really engaging my core with my stroke, pushing my speed in the water and relaxing my mind so I was all in the water. The result, a session where I know there is improvement, good fatigue and I fully trained.
It can be challenging…. simple things which help me to try…. this can be for a specific race, event or just each day:
– breath in a positive focus deeply, and out a limiting distraction
– writing down the distractions and prioritising when you will action them
– being clear on your focus for the moment and day – your three priorities – be that love, work, sport, competition… be all in
– if you can’t remove the distraction, and are being unproductive, shift your state – so physically move, change what you’re doing, if just a moment and return with commitment
– switch off digital fully, not just silent beside you
– get good sleep, hydration and nourishing food
– manage boundaries and people which drain your focus and commitment
I’d love to know what helps you be, feel, think and do focused…. and where is your all in place.
Check out Jay Shetty Podcast podcast, some great episodes.
Check out the Shelf Help Book Club, another great resource.
I’m here to support and help you, feel free to contact me here.